Thursday, October 23, 2008

It's October and It's Nearly Halloween

My most memorial Halloween costume was the one I had when I was eight years old. My mother designed it and created it for me with no pattern. She used a heavy, off-white brocade type drapery material to make a medieval style dress. The scoop-necked bodice was fitted to the waist. The long skirt was gathered a bit at the waist then flaired out. The long sleeves where full to the elbow, then tightly fitted (had zippers from elbow to wrist.) Using the same material, she covered a crown that she had made out of cardboard. Then she fixed a f aux diamond necklace to around the top edge decorate the crown. My hair was really long, so she swept it up in some kind of bun on my head so that the crown nestled around the bun. A teenaged neighbor came over and "did" my face....eye shadow, mascara and a bit of blush....I felt just like a princess!

Of course, I loved it then; but, now I appreciate all the love and work that went into it. Alas, I have no idea what ever happened to it, and we had no camera at the time, so I have no picture of it....only the one in my memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how proud I am of him and excited too.
I know Dare Count is such a long way from Eden, but he will still be in State. And anytime you want to go down to see him, I will be glad to join you.

Patsy

Linda said...

You know that I love these walks through the past! What a neat post.